Tuesday, August 21, 2012

What If We Could Choose Our Family?

I'm sure at one time or another the question about choosing your own family has come across your mind.  I've certainly thought about it.  Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying that I'm disappointed with all of my family members, but there's a few that I could have probably done without.  Unfortunately, we can't choose our family members.  We can only choose our friends.  As the years have gone by though, I've realized that just because you're related to someone doesn't automatically represent a strong friendship.  I've also learned how to love people from a distance.  We're all born with two sides; our mother's family and our father's.  Frankly, I've always been closer to my mother's side.

Sometimes that happens.  In a perfect world, the relationships would be filled with bliss on both sides.  There are some people that are close to their families on either side.  That's a good thing, but it's not everyone's fate.  Some of my friends have treated me better than some of my family members.  I have often wished that I could trade some of my family members for my friends and add them to the family tree.  Since it isn't possible, I have just decided to be thankful for the good friends I do have, and thank God that I have the right to choose who I spend time with.  I don't have to like some of my family member's ways, but I can pray and ask God to give me the ability to love them as He would, because of who they are.

After all, there are some people who love me just as I am.  So, I must try to do the same.  If you have a truly good family member or friend, cherish them.  Be grateful for their presence in your life.  Good or bad, some people don't have families or friends at all.  We have to take the bitter with the sweet, and live our lives to the best of our ability.  God bless!

No comments:

Post a Comment