Saturday, April 2, 2011

Taking Small Steps Toward A Bigger Goal

Good afternoon everyone. I hope everyone is well. I'm in the process of working on my novel, but I've taken a little break this afternoon in hopes of finding the inspiration to write the next chapter. It's a lot more tedious than any other projects I've had in the past. Normally, I write poetry and short stories. The novel is ongoing, and it's definitely a process. I am determined to finish it though. It's just like anything else you set out to do; it takes a lot of focus and discipline. I've decided to set small goals, like write so many words per day or per week. Even the smallest paragraph will be a portion of the novel, and will get me that much closer to finishing it. I'm not one of these writers that can write an entire book in a weekend or even in a couple of weeks. I have to put it together in bits and pieces. I guess for now I just want to encourage anyone else who's writing or wants to write. Just get your pen and pad or your laptop, and put those ideas to work, and if you're stumped, look for things around you or even outside of your box to inspire you. If you don't write, how will anyone else be able to read your innermost thoughts? You never know who you'll be able to inspire. Even if it's not writing, take a step today toward achieving your goals, whatever they might be. You're never too old to follow your dreams. All Good Things, Robin

2 comments:

  1. Well said Robin, halfway through my first novel myself, I know what you mean. It is confusing, time-taking and sometimes mind-boggling. But, once you get that done and look at your work after 30,000 words- you can see it! It is worth the pain!!

    One suggestion: Aim the word limit but don't force yourself. You'll find that at times when you have the flow, you can write wonders and sometimes, nothing comes to you mind. Keep the touch with you characters, then they will help you reach there.

    An example:
    http://smriti-solanki.blogspot.com/2011/04/arguing-with-my-character-well-i.html

    Hope that helps! All the best and keep on it, because... it is worth it!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Iti,

    Thanks so much for following my blog, and giving such a positive response. I appreciate it. Best of luck to you with your novel.


    All the Best!

    ReplyDelete